MICHAEL's EMAIL

WELCOME TO THE MICHAEL J MORRIS REPORT!!!!

EMAIL mj.morris@live.ca

WRITE ME WITH COMMENTS, STORY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, INFORMATION REQUESTS. IF YOU CAN'T FIND A STORY, DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME

Sunday, July 17, 2011

HIGHWAY 129 BETWEEN CHAPLEAU and THESSALON 'GOING DOWN THE ROAD'

Highway 129, connecting Chapleau and Thessalon, Ontario, was officially opened on a cold winter day on January 28,1949, after years of being a political football. It may not have been much more than a "turkey trail" through the bush, but a highway was a highway, and Chapleau's now had a highway connection to the wider world.

The opening, however, was marred by tragedy when T.J. Godfrey, whose great passion was the building of the highway, died of a heart attack while participating in the first drive over the highway.

But Mr. Godfrey saw his dream become a reality.

Like everyone, I have so many memories of trips over Highway 129, and each was an adventure unto itself. I am sure you do too. Please feel free to share them. My email is mj.morris@live.ca

When I was a kid, when someone said they were going for a "down the road" it meant Highway 129, not to be confused with railroaders saying they were going "out on the road".HIGHWAY 129 OPENED ON COLD WINTER DAY Click on Link for related story with more details.

Here is an incredible collection of photos on the highway sent to me. They bring back many memories too.





Hugh McMullen and George Crichton circa 1935  'down the road'
Enjoy a trip on Highway 129!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How well I remember the road opening. I used to have a restaurant and gas on the Highway, 25 miles north of Thessalon at Lynn's Camp Do you remember?
Later I moved with my husband 30 miles north just south of Aubrey Falls and had a restaurant and gas pumps and cabins known as Allen's camp, then as Aubrey Falls Trading Post.
I operated this place until 1971 and moved south in November of that year to Hanover.
you must have been in the store at some time,
Did you live in Chapleau?
If you want photos I can send you lots of the old and new highway. I still own property in the area and my son operates Kegos Camp, as it is called now and lives in the building that was my store at one time.
Would be interested in hearing from you.
Marian

Michael J Morris Reports said...

I would love to hear from you. Please give me your email address.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael
My email is amwersch@wightman.ca.
I read some other posts and found that you did live in Chapleau.
Let me hear from you..any questions?
Marian

Anonymous said...

For many years I delivered mail "up 129" as we say as far as Wakomata Shores, retiring after 30 years in 2011. My son now runs the snow plow clearing the roads up there. My grandparents owned a camp near Flame Lake so as a child we were always travelling the highway. I never liked it when we travelled the twisting highway as it ran so close to the Mississauga River.

David MacLachlan said...

I drive 129 almost every Saturday in summer to put supplies for our lodge on the train at Chapleau. Never knew it opened in 1949 which begs the question why has it never been straightened out. LOL

Michael J Morris

Michael J Morris
MJ with Buckwheat (1989-2009) Photo by Leo Ouimet

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL
click on image

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD
Following the American Dream from Chapleau. CLICK ON IMAGE