MICHAEL's EMAIL

WELCOME TO THE MICHAEL J MORRIS REPORT!!!!

EMAIL mj.morris@live.ca

WRITE ME WITH COMMENTS, STORY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, INFORMATION REQUESTS. IF YOU CAN'T FIND A STORY, DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Kevin Walker stirs up talk and brings back memories with 'I'm so Chapleau"

Kevin Walker wanted to stir up talk and bring back memories among his friends on Facebook so he started short anecdotes called "I'm so Chapleau" and suddenly he had a success story.


The more he posted the more others commented and added their own "I'm so Chapleau" anecdotes. I also joined in and asked Kevin if I could share some of them.


Kevin, who was born and raised in Chapleau, is the son of Billy and Betty-Lou (Simard) Walker, while his grandparents were Bill and Della Walker and Bud and Kay Simard .His brothers are Larry and Bob.


He now lives in Crystal Beach on Lake Erie  but for 17 years he worked for the Ministry of Natural Resources in Chapleau as an incident commander, then on to Pickering for a while now at his present home.


But Kevin's great passion has always been music, and he now spends considerable time writing and performing. He advised that in 1987 he appeared at the Chapleau Winter Carnival. For more on Kevin and his music, I highly recommend a visit to his web site: http://www.reverbnation.com/bloodshoteyez

And now here is a sample of "I'm so Chapleau" by Kevin Walker.


"I'm so Chapleau as a child in the 60's I remember all of us loading up the car and going for a monthly trip to Wawa just to go to the Drive In Theatre and the A&W... I still remember how good the Root Beer and Teen Burger tasted... not the same as today!"


"I'm so Chapleau I remember when we were kids, One of our highlights was going to the CPR trestle by the Planer to snag Suckers when they were running!"


"I'm so Chapleau I remember going to the Fox theatre on weekends and having a 15 cent pop and 10 cent bag of chips"


"I'm so Chapleau that I remember walking 2 miles to school in -40 weather over the horseshoe bridge."


"I'm so Chapleau I remember having to go to Timmins as a child because we were evacuated from a forest fire near the Golden Route!! Where did you end up?"

"I'm so Chapleau I can remember Jumping off the walkway into the snow below when it was first built...!! At least the second flight... who dared jumping any higher?"



"I'm so Chapleau when we were young the big thing was going to Bucciarelliville to swim at the beach... Only to come out and get doused down with salt because of all the blood suckers in the lake haha"

"I'm so Chapleau on my favorite things to do was to hang out on second rock.  It's where the Arena is now.. but when I was young that was all bush.. its not much now but as a kid it was a huge chunk of land..lol and then taking trips down Billy's Trail.. anyone know why it was called that?"

" I'm so Chapleau sometimes when I hear a train whistle blowing... I think back to when I was a young kid on a hot summer night with the windows open listening to the sound of the frogs and a distant train coming home!"

I don't recall who first made the comment about you can take the boy or girl out of Chapleau, but you can't take Chapleau out of us as no matter where we are, we remain "so Chapleau". Let's hear from you with your anecdotes. Post them on Facebook or send them along to Mario at the Chapleau Express. Thanks Kevin! My email is mj.morris@live.ca


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you very Much Michael.. I enjoyed having the responses I received from doing this on my Facebook page! Keep up the great work about our town!

Brian Ritchie said...

Good stuff Michael and Kevin!

How about I'm so Chapleau: I remember how it was so cool to be able to navigate the 7-Mile Rapids when the water was low but you knew just where to steer your boat to not hit rocks with your propeller.

Michael J Morris

Michael J Morris
MJ with Buckwheat (1989-2009) Photo by Leo Ouimet

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL
click on image

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD
Following the American Dream from Chapleau. CLICK ON IMAGE