MICHAEL's EMAIL

WELCOME TO THE MICHAEL J MORRIS REPORT!!!!

EMAIL mj.morris@live.ca

WRITE ME WITH COMMENTS, STORY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, INFORMATION REQUESTS. IF YOU CAN'T FIND A STORY, DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME

Thursday, May 2, 2013

LORNE RILEY FROM DUBAI ON NHL PLAYOFFS AS SPECIAL TIME OF YEAR

Lorne Riley, the head of corporate communications at Dubai Airports in the United Arab Emirates was born and raised in Chapleau, Ontario. A graduate of Chapleau High School, Lorne studied journalism and law at Carleton University. 

His father, also Lorne, with Keith 'Buddy' Swanson, took the Chapleau Junior "B" Huskies of the International Junior "B" Hockey League to the league and Northern Ontario Hockey Association championships respectively, in 1966-67, the team's first year in the league. The photo is of Lorne's Dad.

I am delighted that Lorne, a former student, agreed to let me share his article of the National Hockey League playoffs with Michael J Morris Reports readers.  Thanks Lorne

By LORNE RILEY


For a Canadian, even one who has been out of the country for over a decade, NHL playoffs are a special time of the year. As a child, I fondly recall the ceremony and ritual that revolved around playoff hockey. My Dad, Boo (aka Alain Bouillon) and I would retreat to the 'rec room' downstairs, take out the TV tables and load them up with whatever sumptuous assortment of goodies my Mom had been kind enough to prepare. We would then settle in for several hours of intense oohing, aahing and, particularly for my Dad, "Jesus Christ-ing".
Playoff hockey is different. For every notch of intensity the players step it up, fans double that. Screams of 'he scores' are louder. Every near miss is cataclysmic. Every trip to the bathroom is more frenetic and precisely timed around commercials.
My off-shore NHL playoff experience is somewhat different. The same ritual of foodstuffs and shouting (my Dad would be proud to know that I have taken up the "Jesus Christ-ing" torch and carry that tradition on with great abandon) continues...but rather than pulling in TSN or CBC, I watch the game delayed on nhl.com. I also miss the company of Canucks (not of the Vancouver variety necessarily) whose passion for this great sport is unmatched globally.  That said, I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to pull in the games...during my first four years in Frankfurt, that was not possible.
What has ramped up my level of interest even more has been the long-awaited ascension of my favourite club the Los Angeles Kings. Last year I watched them hoist the cup over their heads from a hotel room in Beijing (again my thanks go out to the good folks at nhl.com). This year, I am eagerly awaiting round 1 as the St. Louis Blues square off with the reigning champs.
So, this short blog is intended to wish all of my good friends from the Great White North who will soon settle in for the games ahead, 'happy playoffs'. May you experience all the intensity, enjoyment and fine dining this special time of year holds. And may your team(s) fare well (except if they play mine)!
Go Kings Go!
PS I would also like to thank you in advance for not sending me emails containing the scores as I am watching games on delay!

No comments:

Michael J Morris

Michael J Morris
MJ with Buckwheat (1989-2009) Photo by Leo Ouimet

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL
click on image

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD
Following the American Dream from Chapleau. CLICK ON IMAGE