MICHAEL's EMAIL

WELCOME TO THE MICHAEL J MORRIS REPORT!!!!

EMAIL mj.morris@live.ca

WRITE ME WITH COMMENTS, STORY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, INFORMATION REQUESTS. IF YOU CAN'T FIND A STORY, DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Dakotah Woods of Quebec Remparts shares details on importance of finding good hockey stick

Dakotah Woods, who is playing for the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, joins our series on finding your good stick with his comments on its importance to success as a hockey player.

Dakotah, from Chapleau, who is also a member of Brunswick House First Nation, took time to do a texting interview on how he decides on his hockey stick.

Dakotah commented that finding the right stick is "pretty important. It's the thing you use most as a hockey player other than our skates."

He explained that the process in selecting a hockey stick depends on a player's preference - by the curve, the flex, the roundedness of the shaft.

"The way I pick my sticks is by talking with one of the stick reps and tell him where I like my kick point in my sticks, my curve, the flex and length. Then you look to grip. See how you like your grip.

"I like a grippy stick with a tarsal pattern. You gotta make sure you get the one that's right for you. One you like.

Dakotah's favorite stick is a "Bauer apx. It's light and has a nice kick point, the blade is strong so my shot doesn't fumble."

After texting with Dakotah, I realized how out of touch with the game I am since coaching my last game in 1987 at the Mrs A.W. Moore Arena at the Chapleau Recreation Centre --- Chapleau All Stars versus NHL All Stars with Guy Lafleur.

With all respect to the awesome players on the teams I coached at the Midget and Intermediate A level when I did hockey in Chapleau between 1970 and 1987, I doubt if any of us could have provided the detailed explanation on selecting the "good stick' that Dakotah did.

Dakotah's hockey career started in Chapleau minor hockey, continued in North Bay for one season ,then on to Sudbury for three seasons, two with Nickel City Suns and one with  Sudbury Wolves, bantam team, and then with the Elliot Lake Wildcats of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League. This is his first season with the Remparts at the major junior level.

He is the son of Isabelle (Saunders) and Gordon Woods.... thanks again Gordie for your help.

And, thanks Dakotah for being part of the finding your good stick series. All the best!!!!


No comments:

Michael J Morris

Michael J Morris
MJ with Buckwheat (1989-2009) Photo by Leo Ouimet

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL
click on image

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD
Following the American Dream from Chapleau. CLICK ON IMAGE