MICHAEL's EMAIL

WELCOME TO THE MICHAEL J MORRIS REPORT!!!!

EMAIL mj.morris@live.ca

WRITE ME WITH COMMENTS, STORY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, INFORMATION REQUESTS. IF YOU CAN'T FIND A STORY, DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Dr G. E. 'Ted' Young strode like a colossus through Chapleau life for almost a century

Whenever it gets close to Christmas, no matter where I am, my thoughts turn to growing up in Chapleau, and the Dr. G. E. 'Ted' Young display that was referred to as "our Disneyland" Indeed it was!

This year has been no different with a boost from Leo Vezina and Harriet Bouillon. Leo posted a photo from one of the displays on Louise Tremblay's Chapleau History and Genealogy page on  Facebook and Harriet suggested he contact me re photos she had sent me some years ago. I saw their posts and here I am even though I may repeat myself a bit from earlier columns.

To get started, when I was growing up in Chapleau and had come down with one of the common childhood diseases, after my mother left for school, I would suggest to my grandmother that we call Dr. Young who for sure would come and make me better.

Almost momentarily, or so it seemed, Dr. Young would appear with his black bag, and sit beside my bed. take my pulse and temperature, and my favorite, take out his stethoscope and and have me take deep breaths to make sure I was still alive. Then he would talk with Nanny, my grandmother, Edith Hunt, who assured me she would follow his instructions and in due course, I would be "all better" and head back to school.

When my dog Rex was hit by a car while I was still in public school, I carried him into the house, in tears, shouting at my mother, Muriel E. Morris, "Call Dr. Young." She did and once again, it seemed within moments, he arrived. After examining Rex, he told me to put a blanket near the wood stove as well as food and water, and let him be. Amazingly, Rex recovered and lived another 10 years. Dr. Young had done it again.

 George Edward "Ted" Young, who served Chapleau and area for 50 years as a medical doctor, was born on November 2, 1914, died at age 95 on November 14, 2010.



For almost a century, born in Chapleau  to George and Mabel Young, he strode like a colossus through every aspect of community life -- as a young athlete who became famous for swimming to Mulligan's Bay, as an officer in Number 1181 Chapleau High School Cadet Corps, as a medical student at Queen's University who came home to practise for six months in 1942 and remained 50 years before he retired in 1994, as the builder of the Chapleau beach, as a member of township council, as a cable television pioneer, and as one who was constantly undertaking new projects, many of which were never quite completed. He was also a founding member of the Chapleau Rotary Club and served as its second president.
He started his famous Christmas displays shortly after he launched his practise in the home originally built and owned by G.B. Nicholson, the community's first reeve, and lumber baron.

After I posted some photos on Louise Tremblay's popular page, the comments about Dr. Young started and had reached close to 500 when I began work on this column.

Here is a random selection without names as I did not ask permission to quote.

"A Chapleau icon. Fondly remembered as a great man" -- "Fantastic doctor and we always looked forward to what new thing he was adding each year," --  Great old Dr. Young. I had many great conversations with him and will always remember him."  --" Dr. Young was from the old school. He had no problem making home visits."

There were many similar comments.

On a personal basis, Dr. Young and I were good personal friends, and after I moved from Chapleau to teach at College of the Rockies in Cranbrook BC, I spent a month visiting with him when I returned home for the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of Chapleau in 2001. Much storytelling which continued when he travelled west and visited me here. Until that visit I was not aware that his mother was from Creston so we went there and visited the church the family attended and the family plot in the local cemetery. He told me he was not sure he could find the grave but he walked right to it!!!

I extend my most sincere thanks to Leo Vezina and Harriet Bouillon  for prompting me to reflect on a few memories of Dr. Young, and congrats to Louise Tremblay for her Facebook page..My email is mj.morris@live.ca


No comments:

Michael J Morris

Michael J Morris
MJ with Buckwheat (1989-2009) Photo by Leo Ouimet

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL
click on image

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD
Following the American Dream from Chapleau. CLICK ON IMAGE